Simply buy/find a book your loved one would enjoy. Read it (or re-read it), and as you go, write little notes with your own thoughts in the margin. Ta-da. You’ve just created a fabulous and thoughtful gift!
A few sample comments from margins of gifted books:
- “Really, Sherlock? You didn’t notice the thumbtack back in Chapter Two? Sheesh.”
- “This restaurant sounds like that crazy dive-bar we went to in Saratoga.”
- “I’m bored, and skipping this page, but wait until you see page 45.”
- “I find that this sololiquoy is more enjoyable with a margarita in hand.”
- “Jack Black would be perfect to play ‘Henry’ in the movie version.”
- “Call me when you read this part!”
Skip the Black Friday shopping, and settle in with a heavy quilt and a glass of Malbec. Then, start scribbling all over All The Light We Cannot See. Your sister is going to love it.